Sunday, February 17, 2008

You know how I take "dares"


It is Sunday evening and I am going through the photos my sister sent me via email.  What did we do without email, again?  The pics are from our excursion to Beaver, Utah, for my niece Kale's baby blessing.  The funniest thing happened while we were there, after the lunch party was dying down.  I sat at the kitchen table, eating spaghetti.  My mother was leaning up against the kitchen sink.  The snow outside was coming down something fierce.  I said to my mother, "I double-dog dare you to go outside right now and make a snow-angel."  Before we even had the chance to blink, my mom was on her way out; no coat, wearing a knee-length skirt, nylons, dress pumps, and approaching 70 years old.  We ran for the cameras.  I ran for the door.  I wasn't going to miss out on this.  My sister Melanie followed right behind.  The three of us, Mom as the lead, trudged out into the back yard where at least a foot and a half of snow had just fallen, and was presently falling.  We fell straight back, almost in unison, collapsed into the snow and began our construction of the most beautiful snow angels you've ever seen.  It was wonderful.  When we came back inside, we discovered we weren't even wet.  The snow brushed off us like powder and we were warmer now than before because of the rigorous exercise of arm and leg waggling.  So why not do it again and get some really good pictures, eh?  And that is exactly what we did.  The second time, we all held hands and made pretty for the camera.  Though there is nothing really pretty about it, except for the memories that were made with the coolest mother in the world.  Later, I overheard her talking to another daughter on the phone, sharing in the joy.  "You know how I take dares,"  she said.  I never really knew she did take dares, but boy, how I will remember that in the future!  I love my mom. :)

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Yeah! You have a blog now. I have been thinking about you lately and wondering what you have been up to. So nice to read a bit. Looks like you are still dating David. Hope things are going along swimmingly.

I would love to hear from you. Blogs are an easy way, eh?